Free the Cheeks

Summer is my favorite time of year. It’s filled with cookouts, drinks, and the pool. But the worst part is finding a swimsuit. I haven’t gotten a new one since right after my daughter was born. It’s really cute but not super flattering on my body type. So for the last 2 years, I’ve been shoving my boobs into tops that are too small.

I knew I needed to make a swim suit out of the new khaki steel tricot that Phee Fabrics recently started stocking. It’s such a versatile color! You can match it with just about anything. I ended up going with the white circular knit for the binding. If you’re looking for great swim material, Phee has you covered! I made some sports bras, that I also wear in the pool, out of tricot and circular knit. I wear them constantly and they still look great.

I also used the cut and sew foam from Phee Fabrics. You can purchase that here

I’ve seen lots of cute swim patterns but they just aren’t flattering on me. Since I’m a whole 5’ tall, I need things that lengthen my torso. Not to mention how hard I’ve worked the last 2 years to get back to where I used to be. I’ve been working my butt off and it’s finally showing. I found Sew Swimmingly patterns and decided to give them a try. She has some really cute, very trendy patterns.

The Veronica pants are a free pattern. They are a cheeky cut and are reversible. I’ve made 3 pairs so far. They are super comfy but show lots of cheek. I don’t have a perfect fit but they are so comfy that I haven’t even bothered fixing it. Maybe the 4th pair😜. The directions are not easy to follow. There’s a video on her YouTube channel, but definitely have your seam ripper close by. It took me 3-4 tries, the first pair I made. I’ll try to explain it a little better below. Also, I may have developed an obsession with the tanga style after wearing these. Once you get that first leg done, you’re going to turn them right side out. Then at the hip seam, pull the liner piece down below it, like in the third picture down. Then you’re going to start clipping them right sides together, all the way around. Then sew or serge together with your elastic. Then the top seam. If you have a Turning tool, it will be easier. I do not. Turn them wrong side out. I like to fold those pieces down, right sides together at the top unfinished seam and secure with a clip or pin. Then you’re going to reach through the hole in your liner and pull that clip through. Keep the right side pieces together and clip it at the edges where the fold is. Then serge and add elastic. Hope that helps a little.

I used the Ava top pattern. It has options for straps or halter ties, and hook or tie back. It also has an option for cut and sew foam. This was my first time making cups out of the foam. I used my seam ripper a lot for this pattern too. I got really confused with all the options, the way it was written. I can honestly say that, it may have been because I had a Tasmanian devil child running around yelling the entire time. It took me way longer than it should have. I am happy with how it turned out. I will do straps next time though. I think it will just give it a more polished finish. I had to shorten the back band. I have noticed the back hook keeps twisting now…so I’ll have to fix that. Otherwise, It fits really well with no adjustments.

I’m so happy to have a swim top that everything fits into and it has a matching bottom. Honestly, it’s quite liberating having my butt hang out. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older, maybe it’s because I have a little girl who keeps me too busy to care. Thanks so much for reading!*This post may contain affiliate links which may benefit me monetarily. It is no extra cost to you! It just helps fund my addiction. Thank you!


Leave a Reply