Diana Dress Hack

With all the Black Friday sales, I found myself checking out some less known pattern designers. No better time like a sale to try something new. I bought the Diana dress from Sew Sew Def with the idea of changing it up. I love the look of the full or pleated skirt with a crop top so I decided to do that. This pattern doesn’t really come with many options. Lining is optional, but I did line it because it’s cold here in the winter. 

 

While this pattern is written for wovens, I chose to use burgundy supplex from Phee fabrics. It has good recovery, it’s thick, it does show ever lump and bump, which is important with all the holiday feasting. 

7E5EA77B-04D6-4BD4-8835-C195CA888B3E

As far as choosing your size when sewing a woven pattern with knits, compare your measurements to the finished measurement chart. This will be a good starting point. I still ended up sizing down one more and could’ve sized down again, if the pattern had that option. I ended up sizing down 3 sizes and it was still a little big in places. 

For the bodice, I eliminated the zipper since I was using stretch fabric. So I subtracted that extra bit that was needed for the zipper, when I cut it out. I lined it with the same fabric. Now I did make a muslin of the bodice and still ended up with fit issues. It was a little big and I didn’t think it was that noticeable until I topstitched the neckline. Yikes! It was huge. But it was already put together. I decided I didn’t care if it had exposed seams at this point. Yes! I totally took the easy way out on this part, not gonna lie. So I ended up taking half an inch off each side and then I added a seam down the middle of the back, and took out a whole inch. I then topstitched that seam.  I then hemmed the bottom. This way I can either wear the skirt over the top like it’s a dress, or I can expose a little skin, depending the the occasion.

 

For the skirt, I wanted a lot less fullness on my petite frame, so I only used the front piece. I did pleats instead of gathering. I messed around found an even measurement for the pleats and the space between them. Basted the pleats, Then I added a waist band. I took 3-4” off my waist measurement and did 5” In height. I did eliminate the pockets.  

BD4FDB88-AB3B-4A33-AE65-AEC111B58E64I was very discouraged throughout the making of this pattern. The pattern itself is easy, and well written but I had to do some work to make it what I wanted it to be. Honestly I’m in love with the final outcome!  Once I tightened the bodice up a lot more, it all came together. 

  You may end up loving what you find on the other side of it.

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.